Friday, January 8, 2010

The Discipleship Dare Day #8 - Character Evangelism

A "Bucket List" is the things "to do" before you kick the bucket--die. On my list are not only things to do, but things to be. I want to be a person of godly character before I kick the bucket: a person that takes the high road, a person that lives above board, a person that lives above reproach in all areas of my life. If I die without accomplishing that in some way, shape or form, I have failed. It is my life pursuit to be like Jesus-- a person of impeccable character.

Character might not take you to the top, but it will sure keep you there. It is one of those things far and few between in today's culture. It is often not fashionable or in style in today's culture, but necessary in God's economy. It is my life work to stand before God one day as a person that lived my days on the earth with godly character.

Character is a community issues. It is formed in community and reinforced by the community you associate with. Your community is like an elevator. It will either bring you up or down. Embrace the Christian community as a means to an end. The end is to influence the ungodly community with godly character. Some of the most powerful evangelism is done by modeling godly character. Be a character evangelist not only a verbal evangelist.

"Lord, I pray for the grace to embody the character traits of Jesus and the courage to live them out in today's culture."

No comments:

Post a Comment