Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Discipleship Dare Day #9 - Bigger Is Not Better

There are many times when I live like Israel before the exile. I depend on things I accomplish not on God alone. I act like I am "rich in spirit" when God prefers me to be "poor in spirit." I have come to realize, there is nothing inherently in me that impresses God or attracts God to me, but my brokenness. It is a life of brokenness that I want more than anything else. I want to live spiritually bankrupt like Israel after the exile. They were not able to depend on anything to please God but God Himself. They did not have a temple or the sacrificial system to fall back on.

What is your temple? What is your sacrificial system? What do you rely on other than God? Is it your spiritual disciplines? Is it the ministry you lead? There is nothing inherently wrong with spiritual disciplines or leading a ministry. Problems arise when those things become the end. They are a means to an end. The end we seek is God, the God of the spiritual disciplines, the God of the ministry. Bigger is not better in God's economy. The more spiritual accomplishments will not make you more important to God. Better is better in God's economy. He is looking for quality, not quantity. To be "poor in spirit" is to live the blessed life, a life broken before God and others. It takes humility to live the blessed life. Humility is the door. Come on in.

No comments:

Post a Comment